Two creative ladies with panache tagged Mr. Peacock last week...
The very talented Patricia, at PVE Design, nominated Mr. Peacock for a “Kreative Blog Award.”
And the ever-crafty Sherie, at Skitzo Leezra Studio, nominated Mr. Peacock for a “One Lovely Blog Award.”
Thank you talented ladies!
In turn, Mr. Peacock is sharing 7 random bits about himself and tagging 7 other bloggers. So here goes:
1) My first set of golf clubs (at age 2)...came in a little red plaid golf bag (above). While my dad would practice hitting golf balls on the driving range, I would hit my golf balls (I think they were ping pong balls) nearby. When my dad would pick-up his huge black golf bag...I’d pick-up my little red plaid golf bag and put it over my shoulder.
2) I won a medal for speaking Russian in 8th grade at the state Olympiada (an all day Russian language competition for 8th-12th graders held on the campus of University of Colorado, in Boulder). During one segment of the daylong competition, you randomly drew a category. I drew “my family.” You then had, I think, an hour to write and memorize a 5 minute speech in Russian on the topic you drew. My amazing Russian teacher coached me to speak slowly (I normally talk very fast), and if I stumbled to calmly say, “Just a minute please” (in Russian, of course). The speech segment was in a large auditorium in front of a panel of judges and you were scored on your accent, grammar, et all. Ironically, I didn’t want to compete, but my teacher bribed me by telling me he would give me an A for the entire semester if I participated in the Olympiada. It worked out; I got an A and a Silver Medal.
3) I’ve never really been a star chaser, but I do have Sammy Davis Jr.’s autograph (I liked his song, The Candyman, from Willy Wonka when I was a kid—go figure see #6). He played in a golf tournament that my father played in—President Gerald Ford’s Golf Invitational.
Above: Sammy's autograph—this was actually for my mom. I had Sammy's and his wife, Altovise's autograph, but I gave my autograph book away to a friend years ago (who was really into celebrity autographs).
I was probably 13 or 14 years old, and I remember towering over him—he was so little. His wife, at the time, Altovise, also towered over him. Me and my younger sister, Samantha, had “VIP” passes (because my dad was in the tournament) so we could walk just about anywhere unrestricted at the tournament—so we could get close-up and pester the celebrities. President Ford was more difficult, however, because he had secret service men all around him.
4) Mr. Peacock loves any kind of lemon dessert...
5) ...probably because I’m allergic to chocolate.
6) I’ve never liked candy either! Again, maybe if I could taste chocolate, it would be a different story. But I loved the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory movie!
7) This is my favorite letter in the Cyrillic alphabet (along with the entire alphabet above). This letter, zheh, is supposed to be inspired from looking down on a beetle (the shape)...the sound of this letter is zhur…sort of like Zsa Zsa (Gabor). I love typography, and I think the Cyrillic alphabet is what initially attracted me to the Russian language (see #2). I’m not of Russian decent either.
Thanks to all of the fellow bloggers for the tags and fun awards. Mr. Peacock was also tagged last May.
Mr. Peacock Tags:
The Haunted Lamp
Night is half gone
Ask someone you know to share 7 bits about themselves that you don’t know, and in turn share 7 things about yourself. Happy Monday!