“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.” Abraham Lincoln
President Lincoln was born 200 years ago today and many of his ideas and values are just as relevant today as they were in the late 1800’s. Mr. Peacock would like to salute the legacy of the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, with a wish list of red, white and blue goodies.
(click image above to enlarge)
1) Thom Browne was thinking about tennis, and Wimbledon when he designed his Spring/Summer 2009 Collection. Mr. Peacock thinks this striped red, white and blue tie was pulled right off the edge of an airmail envelope. Whatever the inspiration, this stylish tie would add some flair to your spring wardrobe. You can buy one here, through February 14th.
2) These stylish and patriotic boots, commemorating the USA’s victory in WWII, won’t be available until this fall, but put them on your wish list right now. They’re the result of the collaboration between über-hip Duckie Brown and traditional shoemaker, Florsheim Shoes. They’re only producing 1945 (clever reference to the time period) pairs of this dandy boot. This special Duckie Brown line of shoes will also include some beautiful wingtips, loafers and modern saddle shoes ranging from about $200 to $600.
3) Brooks Brothers red, white and blue knot cuff links would look splendid on your French cuff shirt. These economical knot cuff links come in a variety of colors too, so you could color coordinate them with all of your outfits. Order a few pair here.
4) This limited-edition tote bag, from Tommy Hilfiger, features photographs by the late artist, Jeremy Blake, who tragically passed away in 2007. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of this iconic tote will fund a new Free Arts NYC photography program for low-income children in New York City. The bag itself is made with high-density canvas and leather detailing. More information here.
5) Fred Perry’s red, white, and blue Webbing Belt could become your favorite accessory this spring. Buy one here.
6) Mr. Peacock has seen many adjustable arm lamps, but never in a red, white and blue color palette. This striking Multi Arm Floor Lamp from the 1950’s, plus each arm is adjustable too, so you can direct the light specifically to your needs. More information here.
7) Even Abraham Lincoln could appreciate the wit and charm of this silk and linen Skull & Crossbones Striped Bow Tie by Hickey. Order one here.
8) This patriotic top hat was originally used as a trade sign for a tinsmith in the early 1900’s. You can’t wear this quirky over sized metal hat, but it sure would look great as a decorative object in an ultra modern home. More information here.
9) This red, white and blue ensemble, by Jil Sander, was shown recently at her Spring/Summer 2009 Collection show. The tri-colored jacket would be fantastic with jeans, however, Mr. Peacock probably wouldn’t wear the jacket and pants together. More information here.