Friday, December 12, 2008

A Sweet Paul holiday...

Paul Lowe is a food, prop and interior stylist extraordinaire—based in Manhattan. This native Norwegian, relocated to New York from Oslo to live, love and of course do his beautiful styling work (see photos below). Most people start thinking about the holidays when the stores throw up the red and green decorations, but stylists are thinking (and working) on "holidays" almost year-round—in order to meet magazine and book deadlines. This peacock is also a cookbook author and avid crafter. Check out his blog here, appropriately titled, Sweet Paul.

Mr. Peacock: How would you describe your personal style?
Sweet Paul: I guess you could say I’m a Ralph boy. I order most of my clothes online, and 90% is Polo. I wish I could fit into more fashionable clothes, but no.


What are you gonna be wearing to holiday parties?

Corduroys, check shirt, tweed blazer, boots and a long stripy scarf.


What's on your wish list for Santa this year?

1. Live in maid

2. Goyard luggage

3. A craft room

4. Tons of art books

How are you going to celebrate the holidays this year?
We will be in New York. We have our own tradition. Christmas Eve we go to stay 3 nights at a nice hotel in the city. Love staying in a hotel in my own city. You don't have to run around to see any sights. Just chill, order room service, massages, go for a swim etc... love it!


Do you host a Christmas or New Year's meal at your home?

No I don't. This year we will have Christmas eve dinner with my, friend and photographer, Frances Janisch and her family.


Do you do something traditional every holiday season?
I do make a pork roast every Christmas. I do it the Norwegian style with crackling and serve it with red cabbage, potatoes and a yummy sauce.
But I always think its best the day after, served cold and thinly sliced on good bread, sweet mustard and lots of pepper. And always served with Aquavit.

Do you decorate your home for the holidays?

Very simple. My man is Jewish, but we do have a small Christmas tree.
Because of my work, I'm usually kind of tired of Christmas when it comes aound. That's one of the reasons we book ourselves into a hotel. I used to decorate a lot, but now I don't really feel the need to do it.

Do you make food gifts for your friends and family at the holiday?

I bake cookies and give to friends and family. Love to wrap them in little boxes with ribbons. I have done this for like 20 years now.


Any cooking or decorating tips or ideas for the holidays?
This Fig Bruschetta, is a very simple and good appetizer for your Christmas or New Year party. And it's easy to make!


Fig Bruschetta ala Sweet Paul
Serves 12 as an appetizer

1 tablespoon butter
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 cup ruby port wine
4 peppercorns
1 bayleaf
6 slices of good bread
200 g pâté
(Mr. Peacock says use a nice slab or about 8 oz.)
8 figs, quartered

Melt butter in a small skillet.
Saute the shallots until soft.
Add port, peppercorns and bay leafs.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced to a thick syrup.
Cool.
Toast the bread and top with
pâté.
Cut in half.
Serve with the syrup shallots and figs.

Mmmm, Mr. Peacock might have to make some Fig Bruschetta this weekend—and buy a bottle of Auqavit too! You can see more of Paul Lowe’s gorgeous work here. Thanks Sweet Paul!

3 comments:

Bart Boehlert said...

Hi Mr. Peacock, Thanks for your comment. I like your blog -- it's very important to be a gentleman!

designerman said...

i see my pal bart is in on your blog too!

i wanted to say how chic it is. love your interviews and stories i.e. glitter.

bookmarking you pronto!

Uncle Beefy said...

I heart Paul, big time! His blog is SO appropriately titled I cannot even tell you! Glad you featured him, Mr. Peacock...he is most deserving indeed!

Have a loverly weekend! No snow. Easiest job EVER...weatherman in the NW! They can say whatever and just collect the checks! Nutty! Okay...done ranting. ;)