Monday, February 2, 2009

Bird Feeders for People

Mr. Peacock found this hand blown glass bird in his grandmother’s basement—still in the original box. I'm not sure where she acquired this glass bird, but it reminds me of an old fashioned carnival prize. The glass is very thin and delicate. You could almost break the bird in your hand just by squeezing it tightly.

I like the simple black & white graphics on the box. The line drawings of the birds and the hand drawn looking typography of "the feeder" give the box a modern elegance. The box suggests using “the feeder (for people)” for peanuts, sugar, licorice, cereal, jelly beans, pins, gun drops [sic], paper clips, sunflower seeds, rubber bands, nuts, buttons, raisins, diamonds, vitamins, jewels, etc…

I found a taller companion bird at the flea market, unfortunately, the tall bird wasn’t with it’s original box. I like using them together, for candy and snacks at parties, although I've never used them for "gun drops." (see box above)

Mr. Peacock sometimes uses them together as a cream and sugar set for coffee and tea. These “glass bird feeders” were probably produced in the late 1960’s and appear to have been distributed through a company in Fullerton, California, and made in Taiwan, but I can’t find any more information about them. I think the stylized simplicity of these birds make them very charming and I keep my eye open for more of these delicate birds at flea markets and yard sales.

11 comments:

Rene Schaller said...

lucky boy!

Scott Fazzini said...

Mr. Peacock, those bird feeders are spectacular! I love that you use that as cream and sugar containers!

Paul Pincus said...

: ) ... i love these.

your blog is becoming an addiction : )

Niyi Maximus Crown said...

If I had one I would use it to hold diamonds.

Uncle Beefy said...

Total awesomeness, Mr. Peacock! Love 'em as the creamer and sugar! "Gun Drops"? Maybe those were the precursor to pop rocks...? ;) Someone should start making these again!

Uncle Beefy said...

Anything to do with this post? Nah! But HELLO!!! Congrats on your d*s sneak peek post!!! Look at you, Mister! I'll bet you're strutting your feathers now! :) Well done! (Dying for your dishes! But the whole house speaks to a whole lotta wonderful!)

tula said...

oh dear, i must have these little birdies. xoxo

Jason M said...

Hey I wouuld like to buy the taller bird, it has great sentimental value to the mother of my children. How much? Please email me jason@propertyfinders.us
Thanks!

www.orense-3d.com said...

Really effective data, thank you for the article.

Unknown said...

I just got hold of the tall one... found it at a flee market... mine is still in its box and have never been used. Thanks for your article :)

Unknown said...

I just found one at a garage sale in Texas. I love it! Not really sure what I'm going to put in it.